Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Grandpa Project 5: Lessons Learned from a Real Grandpa

This is my maternal grandpa John Wesley Mitchell.  The handsome rascal getting a haircut is me at age 3 or 4.  Grandpa John was a union machinist by trade, democrat by politics and a grandpa in the purest sense of the word.  He taught me many lessons for life.  Some mom is proud of, some she isn't, and some I may never tell her about.  Grandpa taught me of sharpening knives, frying potatoes, catching fish, making things work with what you have,  and many colorful quotations that won't be used in any sermons. I have a number of pictures of him but this is my favorite.  He was a country man with only one leg.  He lost one to infection as a youngster.  He was never 'handicapped' that I could see and a lot of fun to be around.  He loved me and I love him still.  When life gets complicated, I catch my self thinking about throwing dirt clods in his garden.  It is a simple and quiet memory.  Another one of those lessons learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment