Monday, January 31, 2011

This is odd, I suppose, but I would like to review a can of stain.  My life has a fair amount of stress and refinishing furniture is one way that I work that out.  It is kind of a prayer/zen/meditation thing.  You can't boil in anger while you sand, strip and stain.  It is also one of the few things that I start and have a seeable, tangible result.  Once in a while you really find a gem in the rough. This is a 90 year old table that had 5 coats of paint on it.  The original finish was seafoam green and either lacquer or enamel.  I don't like to use stripper but it was a necessary blessing here.  This table now resides in my office as a work table.  IT has a granite top but the wood came out so well that I don't want to cover it up.  I finished it yesterday.

I have used Minwax and Formby products for a long time.  They work well and are readily available.  This time I need a true penetrating stain and I bought stain and urethane from Cabot.  They are a bit thicker but have great control and I got a great final finish in two coats.  (With steel wool buffing between)  Check out  Cabot products for your next meditation/refinishing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment